Beans Galore!

Apologies for my lack of updates, life has ultimately got in the way. The past two weeks have been pretty quiet at the allotment. Our summer crops are coming to an end. Our beans have done so well so such a small amount of space. We must have had 500+ beans! They are still growing, but the crop yield is now slowing down.

The pumpkins are growing well, but the leaves are covered in mildew. I have removed the worst affected leaves which in turn has given the plants more space to breathe. The mildew shouldn’t affect the crop. I did use a spray mix of milk and water (40/60 mix) as I had read this can stop the spread of mildew, but I found this to be ineffective.

Our tool wall has been organised and updated with some hand tools. We had a sort out of the shed, as it had become somewhat chaotic inside. Much better!

Sorry for the smaller update this week, I’ll have more to report next time. Until then!

Move & Tidy

The tomatoes are dying back. I had left them in hope that they may recover, but it was not to be. I removed the smaller green undamaged tomatoes before I started to cut them back.

We decided to completely move the herb garden. The pumpkins were blocking the light for the first row of herbs, thus slowly killing them. The herbs have been moved to the front of the allotment and have been planted up in an old tire Thomas found at the side of the road.

The shed is finally finished. The front panels have been painted and replaced and the window box has been erected. Thomas made this from scratch with some old pallet wood. He chose the most sturdy looking pallet and broke it apart. I picked up a big tub of grey paint from a car boot sale the other week for just £5, absolute bargain! I wanted the details of the shed to really pop out and I thought if it was all painted purple, it would be too much.

The pallet bin is now complete and has been moved into position. If you remember my earlier posts, the pallet bin was originally going to be at the front, but we have now moved it to be beside the shed. Thomas has done a great job on both the window box and the pallet bin. The front part will be for compost and the back will be for other items we find on the allotment; stones, glass, sticks and such forth.

We have been trying to tidy the ground behind the shed and fence. Unfortunately there is no break in the fence, so we can never get behind the fence to fully clear it. There are a lot of nettles and ivy behind the fence, I have pulled up what I can but these weeds will be a recurring problem.

I purchased a little ladybird house. It had been reduced and I thought it was an interesting item, we talk about bees a lot but the ladybirds are just as important! I painted it grey to match the rest of the details.

The courgettes are still plentiful and we have harvested our first potatoes! I can confirm they are delicious. Homegrown is best!